Thursday, July 16, 2009

Utilities Scramble to Meet Power Needs of Electric Cars




Finally an article posing one of several questions in regards to the electric car craze. The first being, are our utilities companies capable of handling such an increase?

This TIME article discusses the topic:

http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1910444,00.html?cnn=yes

I follow that up with questions in regards to our grid, as well, which I doubt in its current state, is capable.

Of course I'm sure while we all pay higher power bills this could be another excuse to raise our rates, again - 'well we've got to prepare for the electric cars and make improvements'.

I also pose the question that I have still not yet seen an answer to, nor even asked. I imagine a good portion of the market for automakers trying to sell these now that we want to just totally rush the entire industry in this direction - will be those living in condos, townhomes, apartments, etc. Just how are these types of owners/residents supposed to plug their cars in, when they buy them? Has anyone thought about this? Anyone?

Bueller? Bueller?